CHOOSING YOUR FINISHES, FIXTURES AND MATERIALS: IT CAN BE A MINEFIELD
Benchtop: timber or stone? Walls: brick or block? Will that carpet colour work with the wall colour? Do these lights dominate the living space? These are part of the seemingly never-ending questions you may consider when you begin choosing your fixtures, finishes, and materials. We provide some tips on how to navigate this process: it’s all about making decisions!
1. DO YOUR RESEARCH:
- Use the resources available to you: put together a pinterest board, create a word doc or even a hardcopy file of images of finishes, fittings and materials you like.
- Sort these into categories – lighting, flooring, paint etc.
- Visit showrooms. Look at samples. Try to see the products in-situ.
2. PRINCIPLES OF DESIGN:
- Consider the whole: look at all of your finishes together, to ensure they create a cohesive, overall aesthetic. You may love something on its own, but if it doesn’t work with everything else – forget it!
3. WORK WITH YOUR ARCHITECT:
- Let your Architect guide you: they understand the importance of great design and this extends to the finer details.
- Make your decision and stick to it! It’s been said before: changes late in the game can become added costs in time and money. So, stick to your guns!!
Stay tuned for next time when we chat to an Architect about the trials and tribulations of managing their own renovation on our next Kick-AS blog…